Friday, 29 June 2012

First Thoughts

I'm currently getting into Chapter 1 of our new textbook, and it's given me a few things to think about. The small section of the very beginning in particular was something that I could definitely relate to - the mention of the author's daughter being raised in a bilingual and cross-cultural home. I myself have gone through the very same thing, being raised as a half-Acadian half-Newfoundlander, and speak both English and French in the home.
When I first decided to take this course, I chose it because, first of all, I wanted to be able to get some extra credits in during the summer (ha ha), and also because it seemed like an interesting subject to delve deeper into. It surprised me that the very first paragraph of the textbook would make me realize that this was actually a subject that may hit home for me as an individual. Already I'm starting to reflect on how the terms "Acadian" and "Newfoundlander" were more than just labels indicating what general area my parents were from. It's gotten me thinking about how coming from these two very different cultures may have shaped me as a person.
Technically, I'd definitely say that I'm more closely linked to my Acadian heritage - all my life, I've lived in Cheticamp, a small French Acadian village on Cape Breton Island. I've been immersed in its culture my whole life - the music, the language, and most of all, all of my French relatives whose houses immediately surround mine. However, I've always felt a bit of a disconnect with this heritage - without subconsciously realizing it, I feel that I have this instinctual tendency to identify with my father's culture, even though I seldom get a taste of it. I wonder if there's some kind of psychological explanation for all of this, or if it's just due to my tendency to go against the grain (which is, in this case, the culture that I'm so very immersed in).
Either way, the beginning of this textbook has definitely sparked my curiosity, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else I might learn - not only about this topic in general, but quite possibly about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment