The last time I spent time with
my four year old nephew, we spent over an hour playing games. However, these
weren’t the same games I played when I was four years old – hide and seek,
dress-up, make-believe. We sat at the kitchen table on my laptop, playing
kiddie computer games on Treehouse.com – my nephew sat on my lap, as he’s still
too small to comfortably reach the keyboard on the top of the table.
I was amazed at the ease in which
he clicked through the items and dragged things back and forth with the mouse.
He even got me to type Youtube into the browser, where he clicked through
cartoons like Peppa Pig (his favorite, an English cartoon which we can’t get
through our TV programming), and videos of washing machines spinning (my nephew
occasionally has slightly strange interests). My parents couldn’t even speed
through the internet like this kid could. What was all that about?
It’s amazing to look at how
quickly young kids can adapt to technology. Their minds are like a sponge – it reminded
me of how the textbook mentions how much more easily young children can learn a
second language than adults (I am actually a personal testament to this – when
I was young, I learned French like it was nothing - my dad has been trying to master it for over 20 years now
and still struggles occasionally). When I think of this with a cultural
perspective, it makes me wonder – will these young children in developed
nations, who are exposed to vast amounts of technology practically from birth,
develop notable differences in the way that they develop as opposed to children
who are not?
This is more than just a question
involving the children’s cognitive abilities when being able to master the
cognitive ability to navigate themselves through the internet in the technical
sense. As our textbook mentions, through advancing technology, children are
much more exposed to other culture than they would have ever been before. Not
just children either – their parents too. I wonder what this could lead to.
Maybe it will help cultures to understand and relate to each other. Maybe
parents from certain cultures will take pointers from how other cultures raise
their children – I know that through these studies, I’ve considered some
techniques shown by other cultures for how I plan to raise my own children some
day. Who knows? I guess time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment